SAN JOSE, CALIF.— It’s happening…I’m finally graduating! It was honestly such a journey this year. I was fortunate enough to be in the graduating class that was able to return for a whole year on campus and now, we’re set to walk the stage. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t scared of what comes next. There’s a whole lot more for me to process. Throughout this whole year, I definitely would not have been able to make it through my senior year without some bangers. I bring to you guys my top 10 songs that got me through my high school journey.
1. “Bloom” – The Paper Kites https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8inJtTG_DuU
This song is first on my list because of the way that I first encountered this song. I was studying on a very calm day when all of a sudden this song came on shuffle. It was so comforting and it made me feel so warm inside. It became a song that I relied on when it comes to studying or winding down.
2. “Not A Bad Thing” – Justin Timberlake https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjty080jy60
This song made me feel so grateful and appreciative of love all around us. It was inspired by a story of a couple who proposed playing a Justin Timberlake song and every time I listen to it I can’t help but be a hopeless romantic.
3. “Va Va Voom” – Nicki Minaj https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoQDTaODWmY
I heard this song during 2022 F.A.N.T.A.S.T.I.C.S from the junior’s skit and it’s been stuck in my head ever since. Now, it’s the song that I put on whenever I need the motivation to clean up or proceed with my girlboss day.
4. “Muộn Rồi Mà Sao Còn” – Sơn Tùng M-TP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xypzmu5mMPY
Being a Vietnamese American, I generally do enjoy listening to Vietnamese music. This song is the perfect balance of lightheartedness and slow pop. If people asked me for V-pop recommendations, this is usually my first option to show.
5. “All I Want Is You” – Seo In Guk (ft. Verbal Jint) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG1N9vwbP9U
This was a song that I listened to often when I went to school in my mom’s car. With time it grew on me and it became a song that never fails to give me a little boost of serotonin.
6. “Coffee” – BTS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJuOEuvMAnE
I have always wanted to go to an aesthetic cafe to study or work on various projects. Since there isn’t a cafe near school, this song brings me to imagine sipping coffee from a cafe while doing work.
7. “Feel My Rhythm” – Red Velvet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9At2ICm4LQ
This song came out recently and when I first heard it, I felt like this was a graduation song. It’s as if I should be in a celebratory mood whenever I encounter this song on my playlist or anywhere I go.
8. “Holy” – Justin Bieber (ft. Chance the Rapper) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvPsJFRGleA
I’m a religious Roman Catholic kid and being able to hear something so raw and optimistic on God’s grace is really nice to me. The song has gotten me through a lot of hard patches in my life and I always feel comforted whenever I listen to it. Obviously, this is a song that everyone can enjoy and that’s what makes it even better.
9. “Let’s Groove” – Earth Wind & Fire https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D4hcrkI2xU
Earth Wind & Fire always made absolute groovy tunes and feel-good music. Specifically this song, I can immediately just feel in the mood to party and have fun. It has such a harmless happy vibe that everyone can dance to.
10. “Dream” – Jamie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMKMKLFLzW4
I watched a K-drama called “Start-Up” a while ago and I came across this song in the show. It was so emotional and calming. I used to loop this song for hours on end so I could keep my focus on the productivity of my work.